At outerspace we love to have talented and motivated people with a passion for product development on our team.
We welcome the contributions of awe inspiring, creative and technically brilliant people. As a design-led product development group we value fresh perspectives and team players.
We’re a diverse and clever team of 30+. We have a passion for product development and collaboration. We work together on multidisciplinary teams. outerspace is a happy place where we excel together and produce world class products for our amazing clients
Teamwork is central to the way we work at outerspace. We support each other as we share our expertize and knowledge. At outerspace we support our team members to grow and develop their career pathways. We encourage everyone to continue learning, stay curious and thirsty for knowledge.
outerspace has offices in San Diego, California and Melbourne, Australia
Our working spaces are open plan with dedicated meeting rooms, quiet zones for deep thinking, relaxed lounge areas to meet and share ideas and leafy outdoor areas to refresh and clear the mind. We have labs packed full of hand tools, machines and equipment for hands-on making and experimentation. We have spaces for model making, prototyping and 3D printing. Our electronics laboratory is fully equipped with prototyping and testing equipment.
We enjoy keeping fit or sharing a meal together. We celebrate birthdays and other milestones. We visit galleries, festivals and events together. We share our travel experiences. We donate and support charities. We care for the environment and encourage sustainable ways of working.
join our team
We’re always on the lookout for people with impressive engineering talent, and designers with creative brilliance in product development across all industries.
senior mechanical engineer
We’re looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to help us bring new products to life from concept through to production.
We want you to utilize your multidiscipline project management and mechanical design skills, to own projects and be the lead mechanical engineer on key client projects.
We’re looking for someone who loves to get into the details and make things work, while driving robust project outcomes.
outerspace designs products that people love by combining strategy, creativity and engineering excellence.
We have over 30 years’ experience in product development and preparing product for manufacturing in sportstech, scientific, agtech and industrial markets.
Our expert team of engineers and designers combine strategy, creativity, engineering, prototyping and manufacturing know-how to prepare products for manufacturing and market success.
what will you bring?
- proven/demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary projects
- strong knowledge of formal verification processes, certification and technical reporting
- ability to perform complex design and engineering calculations and reviews
- understanding of electronics layouts and specification of electro-mechanical components
skills / experience / qualification requirements
- 10+ years of professional experience
- a degree in mechanical engineering
- experience in the design of mechanical products, components and systems in a regulated industry
- design for manufacturing experience across a range of processes including injection molding, die casting and sheet metal processes
- experience incorporating electronic assemblies
- hands-on workshop and prototyping skills
- strong demonstrated experience with 3D modeling software, ideally SolidWorks
- drive to dig deeper – a proactive, curious attitude
- results driven – “no excuse” mindset with strong attention to detail
- appetite for learning – always open to training and development
what we offer
- a fun, dynamic and supportive workplace with a wide range of exciting projects
- variety of projects across medical, consumer and industrial markets
- professional development working with a strong team
- flexible working environment with the option of combining working from home and flexible hours
- collaborative, creative work environment
- access to workshops and team support for personal projects
This is a full time position, based either in our San Diego, california or Melbourne, Australia office.
We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds as we strive to create an inclusive and diverse working environment.
To register your interest in this outstanding opportunity, please apply with your resume and covering letter.
product development specialist
Join our growing network of experienced product designers and engineers. If you thrive in a fast-moving, collaborative environment, we’d love to hear from you.